A place where one woman has gathered resources and information to help her family survive in an uncertain future; together with occasional personal musings.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

11/8/09

Update on self-sufficiency:

I think I have taken some pretty big strides since last I posted here. I have helped butcher a deer (roadkill, and we didn't eat it, but it was good practice) and now feel prepared to butcher our first goats in a few weeks.

To that end, I have bought a handgun and am taking a safety and training course next week. It's a ruger single action .22 revolver. Nice cheap ammunition and very reliable. I don't look forward to killing goats, but I do look forward to becoming a proficient shooter. I used to be a pretty shot with a daisy air rifle... for a nine year old.

The house is getting all new insulation in the attic and crawlspace in the next couple of weeks.

I went ahead and told my money manager that I planned on spending $50,000 or more in the next five years and why. Felt like an idiot but he was very professional.

I think I'm going to buy a 2000 gallon water tank. It's on sale for $300 which is absurdly cheap (good brand, UV protected against algae, shipped to my house) and get set up on the rainwater catchment. Right now it's been raining for weeks and there are standing ponds all over the place and the idea of needing to conserve water feels ridiculous, but all I have to do is think back to last august. It was a dust bowl here. It would be nice to know we had water for the garden.

We've been running straight biodiesel in our two cars for quite a while now. All we need to do to keep that up is maintain good relations with our neighbors who give us oil. It's time to pay them a call with eggs in hand.

All in all, I feel pretty good.

Oh yeah, I also learned just how incredibly easy it is to make decent apple beer (or tepache, in Mexican vernacular). As much as anything else, knowing I'll have access to good cheer makes me feel secure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers